We can’t always rely on our minds to dig us out of a hole.
Over 350 million people globally struggle with depression. If you’re one of them, then you need to reach out to others who can help you to bring yourself back up. But sometimes we need a quick boost of the kind only a choice quote can provide.
Below, we’ve put together 8 inspirational quotes for people with depression.
1. “If you’re going through Hell, keep going.” – Winston Churchill
Winston Churchill is often associated with the “Black Dog” of his alleged depression. The jury might be out on that one, but the above quote is a powerful reminder that forging ahead is often the quickest way out of desperate times.
Or to put it in the manner of another Churchillism: “Keep buggering on”.
2. “Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
You can keep fighting for as long as you can keep standing. A war is rarely lost on a single battle.
3. “Regret is an attempt to avoid what has already happened.” – “Cecil Palmer” (Welcome to Night Vale)
There’s nothing like regret to give you a vivid, HD playback of your own memories. But the past is utterly out of our control. Regret, as an emotion, is a load of wasted energy.
4. “Start by doing what’s necessary; then do what’s possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.” – St. Francis of Assisi
Taking even a single action is always better than doing nothing at all. Starting with what you have to do can be the pathway to so much more. So why not start small? There’s no telling where it might lead. It’s no coincidence that some of these motivational quotes for depression are the sort of thing you’d hear from a Long Island psychologist.
5. “The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second best time is today.” – Proverb
Depression often comes with the belief that it’s “too late” to do anything. But the truth is, it’s rarely too late for anything. Plant a metaphorical tree today, and you’re still better off than if you never planted it at all. That makes this one of the most uplifting quotes about depression.
6. “To the world you may be one person; but to one person you may be the world.” – Dr Seuss
The age of social media has brought some existential dread with it. If you feel undervalued and ignored, remember that you don’t need to be everything to everyone.
7. “You may think that’s a hell of a long time. Personally, I think that’s a hell of a bird.” – “The Doctor” (Doctor Who)
This twist on an old fable might have a dramatic origin, but it’s a perfect metaphor for overcoming depression (and life). We can’t do the full quote justice here, but check out the original to see what we mean. We’re all punching a diamond wall, and we can all be one hell of a bird.
8. “Be the change you want to see in the world.” – Gandhi
This is a more famous spin on a sentiment Gandhi expressed, and he was right. If you feel adrift in a cruel world, then take it on yourself to be something better. There’ll be one more bright light in the world, and that can change a great many things.
Inspirational Quotes for Depression
These inspiration quotes for depression should give you a boost when you need it most. But if you’re suffering from depression, seek help with a professional for long-term support.
Looking for more inspirational quotes? You can find some here.