Life can bring unexpected stress and hardship. It’s hard to shake off those bad days when they sneak up on you. Everyone has their own coping and cheering mechanisms, but sometimes a stress baking session or a long workout just doesn’t cut it.
Sometimes, it takes a little nudge from an unexpected source to shake away the doldrums. Movies are a great way to recover from a bad day and give you some motivation. They’ll make you laugh, and cry, and think about something else for a while.
The best movies leave echoes in your mind, snippets of dialogue that stay with you. Those quotes can give you a perspective on the challenges you face in life, and help you overcome them. Check out these inspirational movie quotes and their great writers for that boost you need to shake off the blues.
Inspirational Movie Quotes for Gloomy Days
1. “You’ve always gotta keep your eyes ahead. If you look down, that’s where you’ll go.” Molly’s Game – Molly Bloom; Aaron Sorkin
2. “We don’t read and write poetry because it’s cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for. To quote from Whitman, ‘O me! O life!… of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless… of cities filled with the foolish; what good amid these, O me, O life?’ Answer. That you are here – that life exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. That the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?” Dead Poets Society – Tom Schulman
3. “Oh yes, the past can hurt. But from the way I see it, you can either run from it or learn from it.” The Lion King – Irene Mecchi, Jonathan Roberts and Linda Woolverton
4. “But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.” The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers – J.R.R. Tolkien; Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens, Stephen Sinclair, and Peter Jackson
5. “The way forward is sometimes the way back.” Labyrinth – Dennis Lee and Jim Henson; Terry Jones
6. “It is not in me to withdraw.” A Knight’s Tale – Brian Helgeland
7. “I don’t want my life to imitate art. I want my life to be art.” Postcards from the Edge – Carrie Fisher
8. “Machines never come with any extra parts, you know. They always come with the exact amount they need. So, I figured that if the entire world was one big machine, I couldn’t be an extra part. I had to be here for some reason.” Hugo – Brian Selznick; John Logan
9. “You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view… Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.” To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee; Horton Foote
10. “First impressions are not always correct. You must always have faith in people. And most importantly, you must always have faith in yourself.” Legally Blonde – Amanda Brown; Karen McCullah and Kirsten Smith
11. “My darling girl, when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage!” Practical Magic – Alice Hoffman; Robin Swicord, Akiva Goldsman and Adam Brooks
12. “Strange, isn’t it? Each man’s life touches so many other lives. When he isn’t around he leaves an awful hole, doesn’t he?” It’s a Wonderful Life – Frank Capra, Frances Goodrich and Albert Hackett
13. “We all want to help one another. Human beings are like that. We want to live by each other’s happiness, not by each other’s misery. We don’t want to hate and despise one another. In this world, there’s room for everyone and the good earth is rich and can provide for everyone. The way of life can be free and beautiful, but we have lost the way.” The Great Dictator – Charlie Chaplin
14. “A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.” Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory – Roald Dahl
15. “A laugh can be a very powerful thing. Why, sometimes in life, it’s the only weapon we have.” Who Framed Roger Rabbit? – Gary K. Wolf; Jeffrey Price and Peter S. Seaman
16. “You cannot beat a river into submission. You have to surrender to its current, and use its power as your own.” Doctor Strange – Stan Lee; Jon Spaihts, Scott Derrickson, and C. Robert Cargill
17. “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.” Ferris Bueller’s Day Off – John Hughes
18. “You is kind. You is smart. You is important.” The Help – Kathryn Stockett; Tate Taylor
19. “I found out what the secret to life is: friends. Best friends.” Fried Green Tomatoes – Fannie Flagg; Carol Sobieski
20. “Sometimes it is the people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that one one can imagine.” The Imitation Game – Andrew Hodges; Graham Moore
Forget Your Troubles! Come On, Get Happy
Let the movies take you out of this world for a little while, and bring some inspirational movie quotes back for daily motivation. And don’t keep them to yourself!
Write out your favorite quotes and put them up in your office cubicle or on your refrigerator door. Paint those words on a canvas if you’re artsy, or write them in dry erase marker on your bathroom mirror! Give your quotes away to friends who need a little pick-me-up.